The first residents and the first working companies
Vörösmarty street 14 has always been a home for respectful citizens: Amongst their first residents we find merchants and industrialists, and with them, the Royal Hungarian Architects Office's regional department also operated in the building, under the management of Baranyay Gyula engineering councilman. On the ground floor, corresponding to the era's practices, business premises were established: among these you could find Antal Weber barber, István Szalai bar owner, Nándor Salamon tailor, and Izrael Grosz, József Skorepa, and Adolf Stern stonecrafter-industry owners as well.
We also need to mention Ferenc Collaud high school teacher as one of the first residents, who was a games master in the VII district high school (today: Madách Imre High School). Apart from teaching students he wrote several books about the importance of physical training and medical gymastics, and also he gained everlasting merits in the promotion of domestic football.
Theatres have always been in contact with the house in several indirect ways, and let's not forget about the press company operating in the building. The story links with Róbert Tábori journalist, the editor of Pesti Hírlap, the Magyar Ifjúság, and the editor of the Pesti Napló and the Új Idők magazines. Tutsek Anna wife of Tábori was a writer and translator, who was the favorite of the most conservative bourgeois audience. Their daughter, Piroska Tábori also wrote several popular children's books, and married Zoltan Závodszky opera singer.
The development of Outer-Erzsébetváros
The Budapest we know today, started to be formed after the reunification in 1873. Pest, Buda and Óbuda merged, and like other large European cities, large-scale development began, which, of course, was partly due to the Astro-Hungarian Compromise in 1867. Hungarian agriculture was one of the main pillars of the vigorous development of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, processing plants factories popped up in the capital one after another - just think about Haggenmacher mills and brewery.
Schütz Rezsõ's houses (planning and investments)
When we take a look at Vörösmarty street 14 back in time (in 1899), what immediately appears is its specialty: the decoration differs from its neighbors’, in addition, the other houses in the street are 2-story houses, and Vörösmarty 14 was designed with three levels. The style shows an excellent temporary taste of centennial Budapest: we can discover the effects of the Viennese Secession in addition to clear historical marks. The Devil/Pan-heads, garlands of fruits, owl above the gate, the female characters and the window tops decorated with knights’ helmets carry us away to a fairy-land world.
The House - the Schütz family lived in for a while - was sold in 1903 to Stein Nándorné Mogyorósy Katalin since they started a new project: they built one of the most characteristical, secessionist apartment buildings in Budapest on the March 15th square. Eskű Square 6. - today, March 15. square 6-7. (1903) - building has gone through many changes over the years, but has lots of interesting details.